REGISTRATION IS CLOSED.
Questions should be sent to Katie Tillinger or call 248-334-3400.
What to Bring and What to Expect at the Ceremony:
- Bring your ORIGINAL (not a copy) letter of certification. You must turn this in to the County Clerk staff at the conclusion of the ceremony to receive your certified Order of Admission. If you want a copy of your letter, make it prior to the ceremony as there is no copy machine in the auditorium.
- Sponsors must be licensed to practice law in the state of Michigan and must be present at the ceremony to move for your admission. If you do not have a sponsor, the OCBA can provide one for you.
- Bring a check (or cash) for $25, payable to the Oakland County Clerk, to the ceremony.
- Arrive one hour before the ceremony to check in and to confirm your paperwork. Sponsors should arrive by 10:45.
- Please limit guests to three people. As this is a formal court proceeding, small children are discouraged from attending and must be supervised at all times.
- Deactivate cell phones or pagers during court proceedings.
- The court will permit cameras only for the Lawyer Admission Ceremony.
- After the ceremony, staff from the County Clerk's Office will be present in the front of the auditorium to help you complete and file your papers. Do not leave the auditorium until you have done this.
Next, you will need to complete a membership application for the State Bar of Michigan to receive your P number. Read more at http://www.michbar.org/News/NewsDetail/nid/5435.
The OCBA offers a complimentary membership for first-year lawyers good through June 30, 2019. Complete the Member Profile Sheet on the first page of the New Lawyer Packet below and give it to an OCBA representative at the ceremony. By joining the OCBA, you automatically become a member of the New Lawyers Committee, an outstanding group that will help you make strides in your networking and professional development, as well as provide camaraderie!