Get to know your local judicial candidates and vote with confidence.
The judicial side of the ballot is often the least-researched and the least-completed! Judicial Candidate Forums can help you make an informed decision before you head to the voting booth on November 6.
Each election cycle, the Oakland County Bar Association (OCBA) partners with the League of Women Voters-Oakland Area and the Detroit Free Press to host Judicial Candidate Forums for all judicial races in Oakland County where there are contested seats.
How does a forum work?
- Each forum consists of two panelists – one from the OCBA and one from the Detroit Free Press – who ask questions of each of the judicial candidates.
- A representative of the League of Women Voters moderates the forum. Another League of Women Voters member times the forum.
- YOU are invited to attend and submit questions for responses by the candidates.
- OCBA members will collect questions to be asked by the panelists.
If you would like to attend any judicial candidate forums, please look over these Judicial Candidate Forum Ground Rules.
If you can’t be there in person or want to review a candidate’s answer, don’t worry!
- Forums are recorded so they can be aired on cable channels in the communities where the races take place. Check your local listings. Or,
- Click on a video screen icon below to view a recording of the forum that interests you.
Still need guidance in making your decision? Download these Eight Factors to Consider When Electing a Judge that can aid in making your decision.
Here’s more great information to help you select a judicial candidate!
In this election cycle, there are four contested races. Each candidate was asked to submit answers to a questionnaire in advance of the forums. If answers were submitted, they have been linked to the respective candidate. Click on a television screen if you would like to watch the Judicial Candidate Forum for that court. Video will be added to this site as it becomes available.
46th District Court (Southfield) Candidates
Hon. Debra Nance, Incumbent
Kameshia D. Gant, (write-in candidate)
48th District Court (serving West Bloomfield Township, Bloomfield Hills, Bloomfield Township, Birmingham, Sylvan Lake, Keego Harbor and Orchard Lake) Candidates
Hon. Diane D. D’Agostini, Incumbent
Amy J. Wechsler
Sixth Judicial Circuit Court Candidates (in alphabetical order)
The partners of the Judicial Candidate Forums strive to provide factual, nonpartisan information to citizens regarding candidates’ qualifications and views. This partnership is nonpartisan and the respective organizations will not support or oppose candidates prior to the candidate forum. The Detroit Free Press may or may not endorse judicial candidates before the election, but not until after the forum has taken place.