OCBA Board of Directors 2021 Elections
Running for the Board of Directors
- Are you interested in helping your Oakland County Bar Association continue to provide unparalleled services to Oakland County lawyers?
- Do you want to make a meaningful contribution to the legal profession?
- Do you have good ideas and a passion to make a difference?
If you answered “YES” to any of these questions, you should consider running for a seat on the OCBA’s board of directors.
What You Need to Know
What do the members of the OCBA Board of Directors do?
The Oakland County Bar Association's board approves policy, oversees finances, reviews and evaluates the work of our numerous committees, and plans educational and social events. Unique to the OCBA is our ability to take a position on issues of public policy affecting the legal profession and to actively participate in the legislative process.
Am I eligible to run for the OCBA Board of Directors?
To be eligible to run for a seat on the board you must:
- Be a REGULAR or PUBLIC SERVICE member of the OCBA
- Have been a REGULAR or PUBLIC SERVICE member for at least the past four (4) consecutive years
- Forward the following information to the OCBA executive director by the posted deadline:
- Letter of intent to run for election
- Completed Personal Data Form, including attachments
- Completed and signed Board of Directors Responsibilities and Expectations Form
What will be expected of me as a member of the board?
In addition to attending the monthly board meetings and OCBA events, you will be expected to help shape the future of the association. The members of the board have a group, as well as an individual, responsibility to help carry out the OCBA's mission:
To serve the professional needs of our members, improve the justice system and ensure the delivery of quality legal services to the public.
Who selects the slate of candidates?
Submissions are reviewed and the candidates are selected by the Nominating Committee. The Nominating Committee is chaired by the OCBA’s immediate past president and four (4) OCBA members selected by the current president.
If I am selected for the slate of candidates, how many people will I be running against?
The number of candidates on the slate is based on the number of seats that are open for election. The OCBA's bylaws require that the Nominating Committee submit at least one name, but no more than two names, for each open board position.
What is the timeline for the 2021 election process?
The timeline below is based on Article IX of the OCBA Bylaws.
- Beginning in December/January, a request for nominations will be sent to the membership via email broadcast and in Laches, will be posted on the OCBA website and will be sent to the OCBA committee chairs.
- By February 1, letters of intent and supporting materials are due to the OCBA executive director by 5:00 p.m.
- By February 15, the Nominating Committee will meet, and select and send letter to the slate of candidates.
- By March 1, the roster of candidates, selected by the Nominating Committee, will be announced to the OCBA membership via email broadcast, posted on the OCBA website and published in the E.D.itorial column in the May issue of LACHES. Additionally, eligible OCBA members may be nominated by petition, signed by at least 20 regular members, submitted to the OCBA executive director no later than March 31.
- The OCBA membership will receive one (1) mailing from the candidates via email broadcast or postal service in April, before the ballots are distributed.
- Biographies of the candidates will be available to voters on the website and via an email broadcast before the voting ballots are distributed. Biographies will also be included on the electronic ballot.
- On or before May 1, ballots will be e-mailed to OCBA members who are eligible to vote. To confirm your voting eligibility or to make special arrangements to vote if you do not have an email address contact the OCBA at (248) 334-3400.
- The online ballot will close sometime between May 8 at 5:00 p.m. and May 15 at 5:00 pm depending on how the calendar falls that year. The deadline for 2021 is May 10 at 5:00 p.m..
- Election results will be tabulated and all candidates will be notified of the outcome within 72 hours.
- Candidates will have five days after notification of the outcome of the election to request a recount.
QUESTIONS? Email Jennifer Roosenberg or call (248) 334-3400.